The family of Dick Chapman visited Harley last summer to tour the school and see the memorial plaque in Dick’s honor.
Harley School Athletic Director Dick Chapman always had keen insight, and when he arrived in 1958, he saw the potential in the School’s student-athletes and knew the existing athletic program needed to grow. Always a forward thinker, he, along with a small committee, imagined a new athletic facility to provide athletes a competitive edge. Under Dick’s tenure, the “field house” and pool opened in September of 1969, and Harley and Allendale Columbia sports teams merged in fall of 1972 to form HAC Athletics. Dick was the visionary behind these two huge milestones in Harley School history.
Award Created to Honor Coach Chapman
The first recipient of the Dick Chapman Perseverance Award is Ben Friedberg ’22. The award was presented by Athletic Director Peter Mancuso at the Honors Assembly.
• Nine athletic letters in his career (baseball, swimming, golf)
• Three section V team championships in swimming
• League all-star in baseball and swimming
• Three school records in swimming and participant in the 2021 New York State Swim Championships
• Multiple scholar-athlete team member
We believe Coach Chapman would be very proud of Ben and his diligent work as an athlete and a scholar.