At The Harley School our kindergarten students enjoy a unique full-day program. Our Primary classrooms, which combine K and Grade 1, are led by a two-teacher team dedicated to providing experiences that foster independence and self-confidence with a 13:1 student-to-teacher ratio.
Differentiated Classrooms Meet Learners’ Needs
Kindergarten learners have varying degrees of readiness and our Primary classroom structure provides the advantage of being able to group like-learners together. This allows for differentiated instruction because children develop number sense or and the ability to read at different points during the academic year. We also provide first-grade “leaders” who lead the way through skill-sharing and example setting.
Joy in Learning Takes Root
Our curriculum focuses on the traditional academic areas: reading, writing, math, science, and social studies. Because we believe in educating the whole child, students attend specials in visual arts, technology, performing arts, literature, physical education, and Spanish.
Engaged Children=Curiosity Ignited
Let’s take a closer look at the types of learning taking place in the Primary classrooms:
- Students are encouraged to think of themselves as authors. Through our literature-based program, we individualize reading materials and use methods best suited to each child’s learning style. As phonemic awareness develops, they use invented spelling, along with drawing, to compose stories and record information independently. Children are able to select pieces of writing to be published as books for the classroom library.
- Children work in small groups in our math program. We use manipulative materials to help children see relationships and interconnections, and to enable them to deal flexibly with math ideas and concepts. These concepts are reinforced through games and everyday problem-solving situations.
- Science and social studies are taught in a unit approach where topics such as undersea life and Native Americans are explored. The approach to these topics incorporates the integration of all subject areas. Watch a short video about our Owls Unit to see this in action.
Making the Right Kindergarten Choice for Your Family.
Choosing the right kindergarten program for your child will help foster their path to becoming a happy, engaged, lifelong learner. Early education is the foundation, and the most important investment people make, in the learning life of their children.
Why Private School?
According to the Council for American Private Education (CAPE), parents choose private schools because:
- High academic achievement (the National Center for Education Statistics has found that private school students in grades 4, 8 and 12 score well above the national average in reading, math, science and writing)
- Safe environment
- High parent and teacher satisfaction levels
- Focus on civics, community service and values
We invite you to learn more about The Harley School where joy in learning is at the center of all we do.